Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Can't Stop Smiling!

Late last night, as I was walking to my room, I found myself smiling like a dork. I realized I do this a lot lately....this has seriously been the most amazing experience EVER and I have only been here two weeks! Can't wait for the next three months. 

So I finally gave in to peer pressure and started a blog. We'll see how it goes. I figure it's the best way to get pictures out, since I can't send them or get on Facebook. I'm still trying to figure this whole thing out...so please be patient with the little birdies in the corner. Hope I don't bore you all to death with my posts. I'll do my best to keep them exciting! Let me just give you a little update.

We have been pretty busy since we got here! We've started classes, which are all hard, but awesome! It is so cool to read stories in the Old Testament and then visit the place! Or to read about the different religions of the people we see every day. And to learn the Hebrew alphabet and learn how to say different phrases and sing songs! I love it! Lots of reading and studying, but it's really good. The teachers are just awesome, they know so much about the subjects they teach, and it's fun to spend a lot of time with them.

The field trips have been awesome! We go on one or two big ones a week and hit a bunch of sites. This last week, we went 850 feet below sea level to Jericho and saw the excavation site there! We saw a tower they found that dates back to about 7000 BC, the oldest structure ever discovered as of now. They showed us the remains of what seems to be a fallen wall that they are excavating. Huh...strange. :) We also saw the remains of the winter palace Herod owned near Jericho and learned about things that happened there. Next, we went to an overlook of the Wadi Qelt, a dried up riverbed that ran along the road from Jerusalem to Jericho. This is a road Christ would have walked and is where the Parable of the Good Samaritan took place. Here are a couple pictures from Jericho!



Last Sunday, we had a free day, so about half of us rented vans and went to Tel Aviv! We spent the day at the beach swimming in the beautiful, WARM Mediterranean Sea. It was amazing. The sand was 'softer than cashmere,' we decided, and it was just a lot of fun to relax for a day. We swam for hours, got some gelato, and had an awesome time. :)




One of my favorite things to do is just go to the Old City and walk around and SHOP! We're all getting better at bartering. A lot of the shopowners know who we are. "Good price for you Mormons!" We're starting to get the hang of things, so we know when someone's trying to rip us off. Like this: "One shekel for scarves!" We all walk over all interested...."One shekel!....One shekel discount!" Not cool. We got mad at him.




The best pick-up line we heard today in the Old City was directed to the beautiful Tarah. "You dropped something." "Huh?" "You dropped my heart." Wow hahaha. As we walked away laughing he said, "I'd make a great husband!"

One of my favorite parts so far was the afternoon we spent at the Garden Tomb. It was seriously an incredible experience and I can't wait to spend more time there. The Spirit was so strong and there were so many people there that were celebrating the same thing we were celebrating. We took a tour to the garden, which was bigger and more beautiful than I had expected. We saw what is believed to be Golgotha and then what is believed to be Christ's tomb. They don't know for sure, but there is a lot of evidence that suggests it is. It was a really cool experience, I am so thankful for my Savior. I love this gospel!



I LOVE the people here! I am so blessed to have the opportunity to spend so much time with them. We're all so close already. My roommates are amazing, we have a blast. Our shower is alive. No joke. We have flooded our bathroom multiple times. Also, Ally talks in her sleep, keeping the rest of us very entertained.

These are the roomies! Miriam, Ally, and Tahna. By a lovely tree trunk in our courtyard. Ha.



Here's a little shout out to James :) we bonded as this picture was taken.


About half of the group. Just love them all :)



Another cool little fact, the Middle East peace talks are going on right now in Jerusalem! Lots of important people in this city right now! Pretty cool. Also, we leave for Egypt on Sunday! Ah, I cannot wait! We are all pretty darn excited. It's going to be crazy. We have several looong bus rides, a plane ride, and an overnight train ride. It will be pretty awesome. We have so much to see and do! It's supposed to be 105ish degrees a couple of the days we're there. That will be great fun.

Anywho, I will be done! Life rocks. I am sooo happy to be here. I am learning and growing so much. I love and miss you all! Shalom!

4 comments:

  1. I love the picture with James! And that you're having such an awesome experience. So, so jealous. And I love you. Okay, that's it for now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meg!! Hooray! I LOVE all of your pictures :) It looks like you're having such an amazing experience. I'm so so sorry I'm a punk and didn't respond to your emails...I'll do better. :) And this blog thing will help too! Love you frousin! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Meg! Awesome blog! I'm pretty much going to be living vicariously through it this semester! I wish I were in your shoes! Have so much fun in Egypt!!! (try to avoid Pharaoh's Revenge! DON'T eat the fruit or veggies no matter how tempting they look!) You are going to have the semester of a lifetime!!! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Megs!!! I didn't know you were in Jerusalem!!! Well I guess I probably heard that you decided to go, maybe, but I just forgot about it and didn't realize you were THERE!!! Holy moly that is so exciting!!!! And I didn't know you had a blog! Can't wait to keep up with your grand adventures. Love ya!

    ReplyDelete