Friday, October 1, 2010

10 of My Favorite Things.

Hey all. :) Just thought I'd put up a random, quick post to let you know a little bit about what everyday things are like over here. Hope you enjoy! 

10 of My Favorite Things

1. The View of the Old City. Love looking over this each time I look out the window and each time we eat a meal on the patio.




This is our balcony, which overlooks the city. Awesome! Love my roomies. :)



2. Holidays! We've been here for a lot of the major Muslim and Jewish holidays, including Ramadan, Rosh Hashanah, Yom Kippur, and Sukkot. Their holidays last so long. I wish the holidays in America lasted for days/weeks/months. It's awesome. Sukkot, the Feast of Tabernacles, just ended. On the last day, known as Hashanah Rabba, we woke up early and went to the Western Wall. It was really neat, it was packed with people waving their lulavim and etrogs. I love when our teachers point out the holidays in the scriptures. We read John 7:37-38 in Dr. Chadwick's class and he explained that it was talking about Hashanah Rabba. How sweet to read about a holiday on the day it was actually being celebrated. It was really cool to understand what it is talking about, to learn that they pray for rain on that day which prompts Christ's mention of Him as the living water. Ah, I love being here and learning about these things!



3. Genie Pants. I might come back to America and wear these every day. They are unbelievably comfy.



4. My Chacos and My Fanny Pack. Two things I never thought I would wear have become my best friends.

5. Water! Before I came here I could not drink a glass of water without ice. Now, I have become quite the fan of warm water. As the beautiful, brilliant Mickell says, "Dehydration is not a joke."


6. Shopping in the Old City. I could spend all day in there! I love the colors and the smells and the sounds...the compliments (at times creepy) and the 'insults' ("I am NOT Mormon. I drink coffee and tea every day!") It's so fun to explore, find new places, and just get lost!



The shopowners are the greatest.
Shaban loves the JC students. He always has warm pita bread or a cold drink of juice for us when we visit him.


Abraham is another one we like to visit. He is an awesome jeweler-yay for pearl rings!


I also don't mind runnin' into these guys in the city. Ha, jk. :)


7. Food!

Candy! They have tons of these shops in the Old City. 100 grams of candy for 3 shekels! Who knows how many hands have touched it and how many flies have landed on it. Yummm. :)


Zatar! A yummy spice that is really tasty on warm bread. 



Here we are making our own on a field trip! The Hebrew word for it is hyssop, which is referred to a lot in the Bible.


Pomegranates! We have pomegranate trees at the center and they have pomegranate juice all over in the city. Definitely different, but way good.


Pita Bread. With anything and everything inside. Especially Nutella....:)


Qatayef. A yummy Ramadan treat. :)


This one's for you AJ. They have Fanta everywhere, and I think of you every time I see it.

Kit Kat Hazelnut. My new favorite candy bar. Yes, I bought 4.


Falafel! Soooo good. :) 


The food at the Oasis Cafeteria. We eat like kings and queens for every meal. Favorites include pomegranate, hot chocolate, and bread with halva, peanut butter, or chocolate...or all three. :) 


Wow, lots of pictures of food. Good thing I have Miriam to wipe ice cream bar off of my face!


8. FedEx. 'Nuff said.


9. Doing homework. Yesterday, that consisted of going into the Old City and visiting awesome sites. Okay, it's not always that exciting, but it is so much fun to learn all of this stuff. :)


10. The Spirit here. I love it, really, I know that these things I am learning about are true. Here I am in the Garden of Gethsemane. These places are real! And I know my Savior is too. :)


Anywho, not too much to report today. Lots of class the last few days, getting caught up after Egypt. Spent some time in the Old City...watched some movies...'studied', etc. The other night, Tariq, one of the head security guards had a conditioning class for us. Ah! My legs! Haha, it was seriously awesome.  Now I'm just discovering how easy it is to choose blogging over writing a 7-page single-spaced essay on Islam. I'll write more about the last couple days lata. Ah, I seriously am so so blessed to be having these experiences. I am so happy, life is so good! I hope all is well with you, I'd love to hear updates from you! Meggers135@gmail.com! Love you all. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment